We love checking out our museums and cultural attractions in San Diego. This month brings some great exhibits and closes a few too. Here are the best exhibits to see in San Diego this July:
- Spitting in the Wind, Oceanside Museum of Art. Check out the works of four artist friends while they lived in San Diego. Opens July 5th.
- Rockin’ the Boat, Women’s Museum of California. Learn about the liberation movement of the 60’s and 70’s with this thought-provoking exhibit. Opens July 5th.
- Surf Craft, Mingei International Museum. Enjoy cool surfboards from around the world at this newly opened exhibit.
- Sorolla and America, San Diego Museum of Art. Be amazed at works by the master of lighting, Sorolla. We heart him.
- James Drake: Anatomy of Drawing and Space, MCASD: Downtown. Enjoy over 1,000 drawings over the course of a year by Drake. Opens July 10th.
- SVAC & Art in Bloom, Spanish Village Art Center. See some cool art for free in Gallery 21 of the Spanish Village. Open July 16-21.
- Illusion, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Get fooled by magic tricks and sensory deceptions. Great summer exhibit for kids and families.
- A Softer View, Mission Trails Regional Park. View the nature works of an award-winning artist. Closes July 18th.
- The Cutri Gift, University of San Diego. Enjoy selected works from a more recent print donation to USD (and the print collection is already awesome). Opens July 18th.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not, San Diego Air and Space Museum. Check out some weird stuff at this family-friendly exhibit.
- The American Tapestry Biennial 10, Visions Art Museum. Enjoy some great tapestry pieces in this juried show while also enjoying the other 3 exhibits closing at Visions on July 20th.
- Presidio to Pacific Powerhouse, Multiple Locations. Find out how the military shaped San Diego with this 9-museum collaboration.
- Photography of the f/45 Group, Spanish Village Art Center. Photography for free in Gallery 21 of the Spanish Village. Opens July 23rd.
- Real Pirates, San Diego Natural History Museum. Enjoy some real pirate treasure with the fam at this cool exhibit.
- Quilt National, Oceanside Museum of Art. See over 30 amazing and award-winning quilts with this exhibit when it opens July 26th.
- Manifestations of Sibyl Redux, La Jolla Athenaeum. Books, prints, collages and more on display by the artist. Go before it ends July 26th.
- Beverly Penn, Lux Art Institute. Be amazed at the delicate sculptures of Beverly Penn before her exhibit closes July 26th.
Dying for more awesome summer events and activities in San Diego? Sign up for our weekly San Diego newsletter and automatically get your free Ultimate San Diego Summer Guide 2014: