Here are 10 fun things to do in San Diego this weekend (May 3 and 4, 2014):
- Celebrate Cinco de Mayo! There are a few things going on around town but our favorite has to be the Old Town Cinco de Mayo Celebration.
- Exhibits. Opening this weekend: The History of the US Navy SEALS in Coronado at Coronado Museum of History and Art, American Tapestry Biennial 10 at Visions Art Museum, An Alaskan Perspective at Visions Art Museum, Fugitive Pieces at Visions Art Museum, Women Artists of the West at Women’s Museum of California, and 21st Annual Reflections of Nature at Fallbrook Art Center (only open this weekend!). Closing this weekend: 2013 San Diego Art Prize Recipients at La Jolla Athenaeum, Omar Lopex: TADA! at La Jolla Athenaeum, and Ecosystems of San Diego County at San Diego Natural History Museum.
- Forgo gluten at Living Without’s Gluten-Free Food Allergy Fest all weekend. Tastings, demos, vendors and more at Town and Country Resort for this cool health festival.
- Bring your antiques to the Del Mar Antique Show all weekend. Get antiques appraised, repaired or pick up some new heirlooms!
- Get outdoors for the Spring Garden Festival at Cuyamaca College on Saturday. It’s the 21st year of this huge garden event–go for demos, exhibitors and activities.
- Read! Saturday is California Bookstore Day and that means fun sales at local bookstores. We like the Central Library’s Library Shop and Warwick’s.
- Enjoy community with the San Diego Ho’olaule’a Festival all weekend. This annual Hawaiian festival features food, performances and sunshine at Mission Bay.
- Watch some ping pong at the Pearl Hotel’s Ping Pong Tournament on Saturday. Drinks, mingling and plenty of action on the boards (right term?). Plus, it benefits many local charities.
- Learn a little at the Anniversary of the Battle at San Diego Bay. The Naval Base Point Loma is the place to go on Sunday for history, food and dance.
- Check out some cars at two car shows this weekend. Saturday head north for the MiraCosta College Car and Bike Show; Sunday head to the island (Coronado we mean) for the MotorCars on MainStreet Car Show.
Like staying in the know? Make sure to follow our newsletter! You get a weekly roundup of happenings around San Diego and much more!