Summer is just about here (wasn’t it just January?). Starting now, the City’s alive with great weather, kids out of school and inspiring art exhibits. Some exhibits are opening, some exhibits are closing this month. One thing is for sure: You better start taking advantage of them in June! Here’s 17 great exhibits to see in June in San Diego:
- Car Toys, San Diego Automotive Museum. Starting June 7th, this fun exhibit opens to the delight of car toy fans everywhere!
- Great Balls of Fire, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. If you want to learn more about comets, meteors and asteroids, including how likely it is for one of them to hit the earth and cause massive damage, go see this exhibit. Be sure to go before it closes on the 11th.
- Approximately Infinite Universe, Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: La Jolla. Science fiction and art collide with this exhibit. See art inspired by such topics as space travel, utopian futures, other worlds and other beings. Opens June 8th.
- Duncan Gleason: California’s Maritime Art Master, Maritime Museum of San Diego. This exhibit features 40 paintings by Joe Duncan Gleason who was a renaissance man best know for his maritime and harbor scenes. Opened at the end of May.
- Second Time Around: Fashion Recycled, Visions Art Museum. June 7th brings two new exhibits to the Museum: Second Time Around along with Supporting Roles: Photographs and Fiber from Ann Scott.
- Wonder Women: On Paper and Off, Women’s Museum of California. Great exhibit showing the history of women in comics. Sure to be a hoot! Starting June 7th.
- Intersections: Charles Arnoldi, Oceanside Museum of Art. Come to this exhibit to see some of Arnoldi’s constructions and sculptures, the very pieces that started him on the road to become one of the most significant contemporary abstract artists of our time. Opens June 8th.
- San Diego County Fair! The Fair opens June 8th and runs through July 4th. Be sure to check out the great art exhibits the Fair features while you’re there. See fine art, photography, youth art, gems and minerals, the featured Game On! exhibit (this year’s Fair theme is games) and way more.
- The Magic of Windansea, California Surf Museum. Learn about the history of the famous Windansea Surf Club from our very own town of La Jolla. Opens June 8th.
- Allied Craftsmen Today, Mingei International Museum. See the current work of the amazing San Diego craftsmen group, Allied Craftsmen, with this exhibit. Opens June 15th.
- Life Force Without Limit, San Diego Chinese Historical Museum. This exhibit features the calligraphy of Tom Chow, a master calligrapher who’s work is influenced by his Chinese heritage along with his Californian life of the present. Opens June 15th.
- Hamilton Press Lithographs, La Jolla Athenaeum. See the lithographs from many artists of the famous Hamilton Press. Closes June 15th along with the 11th Annual SDSU Art Council Recipients exhibit.
- Lilia Gracia Castro, Centro Cultural de la Raza. See this Mexican-American’s solo exhibition giving a contemporary view of pre-Hispanic art. Closes June 16th.
- Celebrating the Horse: In Art, Culture, Sport, and Everyday Life, Fallbrook Art Center. Go to the Center on June 16th to learn about the horse in all aspects of society.
- Origins of Life, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. This exhibit replicates famous experiments that simulated early Earth’s atmosphere in order to try to create life. Closes June 23rd.
- Scoli Acosta: ELEMENTALISTHMUS, Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego: Downtown. This exhibit features found objects made into “tambourines ” by Acosta. Closes June 23rd.
- access/ABILITY, San Diego Museum of Man. Visit this exhibit to gain understanding for people living with disabilities. Full of hands-on activities and real life examples. Make sure to see it before it closes on June 30th.
Have a great June!