We love our Military here in San Diego! Because there are so many perks for Military members from museums and attractions, we want to make sure all our amazing Military men, women and families know about them. For starters, here are the perks throughout Balboa Park for Military and their families:
*First of all, remember to bring ID for all these places or they probably won’t give you a discount. Second, check websites for prices and keep prices in perspective. $1 off at the San Diego Art Institute means you pay only $2 for admission whereas at the San Diego Natural History Museum, tickets would be $12 with $5 off. Third, pricing below is for adults unless otherwise noted. Kids pricing varies depending on the museum–we included links to each museum’s pricing page. We have the free admission ages for kids below.*
Free Tuesdays give San Diego Residents and Military free access to museums within Balboa Park. The museums switch the Tuesday they are free on a rotating basis so every Tuesday there’ll be at least one museum for free. Here’s the Residents Free Tuesday Schedule. Or follow us on Facebook to get an update on which museums are free every Tuesday.
- Centro Cultural de la Raza. Free all the time (for everyone).
- Marston House. $1 off admission, Active Duty Only. Kids Under 6 are Free.
- Mingei International Museum. $3 off admission with Military ID (aka Dependents and Retired Military with ID works too). Kids Under 6 are Free.
- Museum of Photographic Arts. Active Duty and Dependents are Free. Retired Duty and Dependents $1 off admission. Kids 12 and Under are Free.
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. 10% off admission for Military and their families with ID. There are places around SD to pick up 20% off admission vouchers as well. Kids Under 3 are Free.
- San Diego Air and Space Museum. Active Duty Military Free. $3 off admission for Retired Military. $2 off admission for Dependents. Kids Under 3 are Free.
- San Diego Art Institute. $1 off for all Military with ID. Kids 12 and Under are Free.
- San Diego Automotive Museum. $2.50 off for all Military with ID. Kids Under 6 are Free.
- San Diego Hall of Champions. $3 off admission for all Military with ID. Kids Under 3 are Free.
- San Diego History Center. $2 off for all Military with ID. Kids Under 6 are Free.
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum. $4 off for all Military with ID. Kids 14 and Under are Free.
- San Diego Museum of Man. $2.50 off admission for Active Duty Military only. Kids Under 3 are Free.
- San Diego Natural History Museum. $5 off for all Military with ID. Kids Under 7 are Free.
- The San Diego Museum of Art. $3 off for all Military with ID. Kids Under 3 are Free.
- Timken Museum. Always free for everyone.
- Veterans Museum and Memorial Center. Active Duty Military and Dependents are Free. $1 off for all Veterans. Kids 12 and Under are Free.
- World Beat Center. Always free for everyone.
Most of the gardens throughout Balboa Park are free. The big garden in the Park is the Botanical Building. It’s free. The only garden that charges is the Japanese Friendship Garden. The Garden is $1 off for all Military with ID. Kids Under 7 are Free.
Balboa Park Carousel. It costs $2.50 for everyone. If you go, show your ID. It’s worth asking!
Balboa Park Miniature Railroad. It costs $2.50 for everyone. If you go, show your ID. It’s worth asking!
San Diego Zoo. Active Duty Military gets one free admission to the Zoo. Retired Military and Dependents get 10% off admission. Zoo tickets can be purchased on different bases throughout SD for a good discount so check there first!
Spanish Village Art Center. Free to walk around the Village. Ask individual artists if they give military discounts on purchases.
Stay Tuned Next Week for More Museum Perks for Military.