“What am I if I am not a participant? In order to be, I must participate.” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
There’s a lot happening in San Diego this month. There are amazing exhibits happening all around. We have what many cities yearn for: rich culture, inspiring art and vast interest in visiting our city. Be sure to check out these great 17 exhibitions so you can participate in the conversation!
- Playing with a Full Deck, Visions Art Museum. This exhibit showcases beautiful quilts portraying all 52 playing cards, plus 2 jokers.
- Bill Traylor: Drawings from the Collections of The High Museum of Art and The Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, Mingei International Museum. Bill Traylor began drawing scenes from the American South in his early eighties and this exhibit shows 60 of these drawings.
- Chocolate: The Exhibition, The San Diego Natural History Museum. Want to know more about the history of chocolate? Want to see an amazing gift shop with every type of chocolate imaginable? Go before the 10th of this month when it closes!
- 30x: Three Decades, Museum of Photographic Arts. This exhibit highlights MOPA’s collection with 30 pieces, one acquired in each year of the Museum’s existence.
- Scoli Acosta: ELEMENTALISTHMUS, Museum of Contemporary Art: San Diego. This exhibit features found objects made into “tambourines ” by Acosta.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not, The San Diego Air and Space Museum. As you can guess from the title of the show, Ripley’s exhibition gives us a chance to see unusual and interesting pieces from the world of Ripley’s Believe It or Not. That Robert Ripley collected some very weird things!
- Herb Turner: Realist/Idealist, Oceanside Museum of Art. An architect from Del Mar, Turner’s pieces show San Diego and American life with social commentary imbedded into them.
- World of Watercolor, Fallbrook Art Center. Enjoy this watercolor exhibit before it leaves on the 17th.
- Lowrider Legends 2013, San Diego Automotive Museum. Like lowrider cars? You will love this exhibit at the Museum. Cool car viewing included!
- Masterworks in Metal, Ink, and Silk, The San Diego Museum of Art. On loan from the Suzhou Museum, this great exhibit featuring scrolls, statues and more will only be at the Museum until the 17th.
- Origins of Life, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Opening on March 16th, this exhibit shows current experiments that replicate early Earth’s atmosphere and its beginnings.
- Charles Reiffel, An American Post-Impressionist, San Diego History Center. Celebrating the 150th anniversary of Reiffel’s birth, this exhibit closes at the end of March.
- Russian Delights, Timken Museum. This exhibit features many of the Russian icons from the Museum’s collections. The pieces were put back after their big exhibition ended in February.
- Instruments of Torture, San Diego Museum of Man. This thought provoking special exhibition is traveling from Italy and is only here for a short time. Not recommended for kids.
- David Thimgan Retrospective, San Diego Maritime Museum. This exhibit looks into the work of Thimgan, a maritime historian.
- Lifelike, Museum of Contemporary Art: La Jolla. Can you tell the difference between art and the real thing? This exhibit shows ordinary life objects as art works.
- The Art of Tea, San Diego Chinese Historical Museum. Do you love tea? Want to know more about what goes into making your mug of deliciousness? Come here and find out!